Friday, July 24, 2009

Romany in the 21st Century

Sinti Romany don't like their language written down--but they DO like to hear it. Some eons ago we recorded the Joseph stories from Genesis onto cassette tape. Now we're bringing that into the 21st century by adding illustrations and putting the segments on YouTube. You can check out the first two at www.youtube.com/user/Sikepaskro. I thought I'd get the last three done pretty quickly, but I've run into a few snags . . . and my shoulder hurts. According to the physical therapist, I've got "frozen shoulder syndrome." According to sources on the Internet, it could take up to 2 years to thaw. I'm opting for treatment!

Around Pentecost, Mary had coffee in a Sinti woonwagon (house trailer). The hostess was complaining to her cousins about her husband. "We've got this new laptop, and he says I shouldn't be on it. 'Internet isn't for Gypsies.'" The woman clearly didn't agree. We don't, either. Next time we're in that particular camp (trailer park), we're going to give her the link to the Joseph stories in her language on YouTube. There's a lot of other Gypsies posting things on Internet, too, including two Keith created from children's books for The Good Samaritan and The Prodigal Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment